- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Neck pain is a common health problem faced by millions of people worldwide--approximately 70% of us will experience back pain at some point in our lives. Indeed, it's probable that if you are not personally experiencing neck or back pain right now, then someone you know is.
Why is this so? Individual factors certainly play a role. Even so, the most common causes of neck pain are:
- Joint derangement, such as acute joint locking
- Muscle strains or spasms
- Poor body mechanics
- Repetitive or physically demanding work tasks
- Acute injuries, such as those sustained in a car accident or sporting event
What sort of treatment is available for neck pain?
Whether an acute injury or a chronic problem, neck pain doesn't always go away on its own. It's important to speak with a licensed health professional if you're experiencing neck pain. This is not only to get relief from your symptoms, but to also prevent any symptoms from recurring--or becoming worse.
A great professional resource for the treatment of neck pain is a chiropractor. Our chiropractic’s are trained in the evaluation and treatment of the entire body, including the musculoskeletal, neurological, and psychological systems. We use drug-free treatments aimed to address each patient's unique needs.
What are some specific chiropractic techniques available to treat my neck pain within Vancouver, Cascade Park, Fishers Landing, Orchards, Salmon Creek, and Camas, WA and Portland, OR areas?
- Spinal adjustments: chiropractic adjustments and "manipulations" restore normal joint alignment and range of motion. Adjustments also stimulate pain-relieving pathways in the nervous system, promote anti-inflammation, and reestablish the body's normal energy flow.
- Corrective exercises: a chiropractor often prescribes specific exercises designed to increase the strength and endurance of important postural muscles in the neck, shoulder girdle, and trunk. Exercises can also be prescribed for the purpose of tissue healing.
- Physical modalities: many non-invasive modalities that chiropractors use include therapeutic ultrasound, cyrotherapy, and electrical stimulation. These modalities are used to reduce both inflammation and pain.
Chiropractic care is complemented well by other services that accelerate and improve a person's healing. These other services include:
- Massage therapy: massage helps to relieve pain, reduce swelling and inflammation, and reduce stress (which we know is one of the causes of neck pain to begin with). Specific techniques, including sports massage and deep or soft tissue massage, are used based on a patient's specific needs.
- Acupuncture: this centuries-old technique involves the insertion of thin sterile needles into the skin, which triggers a number of healing biological and hormonal responses in the body.
- Nutritional/lifestyle counseling: prevention is one of the keys to maintaining optimal health. People with chronic neck pain often benefit from educational tips and information on how to eat, move, and perform daily tasks in ways that will prevent neck pain from recurring.